The Writer Who Wouldn't Write

We've All Felt This Way, Right?
















I’m starting to believe that my creativity has died. That it has vanished into the ether, like my youth and my disposable income. When I was 23 I had the imagination to write whatever I wanted. I wasn’t as good a writer as I am now, in the technical sense – I was full of the energetic impatience of youth. I was cocky, using unnecessarily big words and glib cliches. I’m a better writer now, but bereft; back then, I was full of ideas. They fell of my fingers and onto the screen like the alcohol and drugs that got splashed and swallowed and snorted into my young body. Now it’s difficult for me to even come up with an idea for this fucking blog. I try to find funny, interesting stories about my domestic life to write about – and I know they’re there, because my kids are fucking mental – but there’s only so many blog posts I can write about not getting enough sleep, or trying to be a good parent while depressed. And outside of my domestic life, I have no life. Save work, which I don’t write about much, because I would like to remain unfired.

When I was twenty-three, I didn’t have the time to write. I was a burgeoning alcoholic. My weekends were spent on booze-fueled quest for trashy chicks in trashier nightclubs. My weekdays were spent fueling my weekends. I was young, drunk and full of spunk. My passion for writing was pushed aside as I lived the life of a typical twentysomething with more balls than brains. I guess I assumed my writing would be waiting for me. That it would marinate, and I would come back to it. But that's not quite how it works. As I grew older I became frustrated by my lack of forward momentum. I wrote bit-parts of novels and essays with little or no passion or direction. The people  family and friends who encouraged and lauded me, stopped asking me about my writing "career", some asked when I would get a real one. It became an embarrassment, a noose around my neck. David the writer, became David who can't find his direction. So I quit.

Slowly my depression grew. I'm not going to tell you that the loss of my dream and the acceleration of my mental illness were in any way analogous, but they certainly complemented one another. Eventually the party started to wind down. When the music stopped and everybody left, I sat at the bar drinking bottom shelf liquor and bemoaning the gaping hole in my life.

I met my wife around the time I decided to wind down the partying lifestyle. I kept drinking; I just did a lot more of it alone. You can strip away the friends, and the music and the flashy lights, but as long as you have the booze, as long as you get the buzz, none of that matters. I hadn't yet realized I was an alcoholic, because I hadn't tried to stop. That's when you know she has you in her clutches: when you try to leave her, but you keep on coming back. 

It seemed the more I drank, the less I wrote. The less I wrote, the less I felt like a writer. Until I stopped completely. Of course life moved on, as it always does. My wife and I got married and had kids; we eventually faced my addiction, and I failed and failed and failed at conquering it. I had some dry spells, but I'd gradually ease back into casual drinking, and then one night I'd get fucked up and vomit in the bath tub, and I'd start again on the long path to sobriety.

One day, three or four May's ago, the air tingling with the onset of summer and my wife's trust returning, I asked her could I spend some time alone writing. Our son was 6 months old and we lived in a small apartment where space was an issue. So every Monday morning, for a few months, I took myself down to the public library and wrote for a few hours on end. This was perfect, because I was doing a lot of reading: and discovered some wonderful novels in this time. Anyway, I had the idea of writing a thriller/revenge novel. The idea wasn't blistering, but it was okay, and I figured if I could write it well, it would be unique and interesting. After four weeks, I read over it, and it was shit. Absolute garbage. The pacing was all wrong; it read more like a synopsis than a script. It was cheesy and without of any kind of originality or ingenuity. I was gutted. I sat in shock for about twenty minutes, then I got up returned my books to the lady at the counter, and quit writing. Then I went for a beer.

And that leads me to this blog. Which I started sometime in January. Some two and a half years later. I wasn't writing for popularity, or for traffic, or to promote anything; I was just writing for the sake of it: For myself. Although I have to admit I am absolutely thrilled that I have a small few regular readers who seem to love what I write. I'm grateful for their support. So what's this post all about then? Why do I feel my creativity has left me? The answer is: I don't know.

I'm not quitting writing again, or anything rash like that. I need to return to fiction. I need to start reading again, and writing down the ideas that come to me. I need to work those mental muscles so I can produce ideas I'm proud of, not staring at the screen wondering if I should buy a puppy just so I can write a blog post about him shitting on the floor. So maybe this blog will take a back seat a little. Maybe it'll be the stepping stone back into serious writing which is what I intended it to be in the first place. 

So if I occasionally disappear for a little while, don't panic; I'm not gone anywhere. I've just got some other stuff going on. And maybe I'll even send you all a signed copy of my first novel. After all, guy can dream.


10 comments:

  1. You can do it. I know you can. And I want the first copy of that autographed novel... Well, maybe the 2nd, since I'm sure your wife would want the 1st. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I will definitely send you the second signed copy. Now all I need is an idea, time, skill, luck and a publisher. Easy, lol :)

      Delete
  2. I want a copy as well!

    Also, I have about five novels I've started - "started" being the key word there. I would start writing, get super excited, and spend my days and nights working on it. Then since life would catch up, I'd walk away from it so I could juggle everything else, and when I come back to it, it would be the biggest piece of shit I've ever read. The same thing I thought was amazeballs weeks before would make me want to gouge my eyes out. I think that everyone thinks that their writing is shit... don't give up on it though. Put it away for long periods of time, concentrate on something else, come back to it, re-look at what you wrote, add a new chapter, repeat cycle. One day, you'll have a completed novel, and it will be the best thing since sliced bread.

    All the best buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Y'know I do have some older stuff that's ok-ish, but that novel I started on my last attempt. Pure drivel, lol!

      Delete
  3. As long as you don't disappear for 3 months. Omg, the fucking torture! I'll have to hunt you down if that happens again. ;)

    I know that whatever you write will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Elle. I promise promise promise I won't. I just need some lessons in time management. I'm awake 3 hours this morning and still drinking coffee in my pajamas. Motivation is not my strong point :)

      Delete
  4. Forgive me for jumping straight to the comments... but seriously technology has now proven to fail us. YOU CANNOT DO THAT (pic) WITH A LAPTOP. Or tablets. Tablets are just a complete fuck you if you want to throw your keyboard into it because they have a built in keypad on the screen.

    Or, can we just say fuck you to the tablet and throw it in your tv? But... the tv didn't do anything wrong. And if you break your tv you can't watch Breaking Bad.

    PS draw creativity from your dreams! If I wasn't a lazy ass, I'd have tons of e-books already published from my dreams. I'm that much of a bad ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find, if you give a tablet or a laptop to a 3 year old, they find a way to smash them.

      Ah see you're laboring under the illusion that I get enough sleep to actually have dreams ;) Right now I'm Jack Nicholson in the shining: "All work and no play..." stage. Somebody help me before I find an axe :(

      Delete
    2. Really? My one year old niece can already run an iPad even better than I can. I'm twenty and I can barely function an iPhone. Blackberry central here.

      I find if someone hits you over the head with a shovel you can get a few hours of zzz's. Or...

      http://whitegirlinasiantown.blogspot.com/2012/11/insomnia-at-its-finest.html ...check it out ;)

      Delete
  5. Hey, just wanted to say I'm really happy I stumbled across this last article. I have just recently been realizing that the older I get the less I experience that old familiar overwhelming need to get the creativity out, like I used to when I was younger, or in college (when I was too busy drinking and having fun). It's really good to know I'm not alone in that. I recently read The War of Art by Steven Pressfield and then Turning Pro (also by him, and both SUPER quick, easy reads). Anyway, they definitely helped to re-motivate me a little, and I highly recommend them.

    :)

    ReplyDelete